CBD, also known as cannabidiol is the major cannabinoid found in the hemp plant which belongs to the cannabis family of plants. In recent years, especially after the US Farm Act of 2018, cannabidiol’s popularity surged. This legislation legalized the cultivation of the hemp plant for medical and research purposes. Also, it led to the removal of cannabidiol (CBD) from the list of schedule 1 drugs due to its general safety profile and therapeutic uses. Read on to know about the science of CBD, its medical benefits, and extraction.
The Working Of CBD
There are more than 100 cannabinoids found in the hemp plant, and they produce their effects by interacting with the cannabinoid receptors of the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is common to all vertebrate mammals. CBD mainly influences the CB2 receptors of this system; these receptors are mainly part of the immune system. Cannabidiol (CBD) is not psychotropic, it has medical benefits, and negates or reduces the negative effects of THC when they are consumed together.
CBD Health Benefits
- 5-HT1A serotonin receptors are activated by CBD, and this is one of the main reasons for cannabidiol’s anxiolytic, antiemetic, sleep-inducing, and de-addiction effects.
- CBD binds to TRPV1 or vanilloid receptors that modulate pain perception, body temperature, and inflammation. So, cannabidiol is useful for reducing pain and inflammation.
- The anticancer effect of CBD is because it activates peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PAARs). This is also one of the reasons for its usefulness in treating Alzheimer’s disease.
- CBD blocks the action of the GPR55 receptor; this slows the spread of cancerous cells and reduces bone resorption. So, cannabidiol is useful for maintaining bone health, especially in older people.
- CBD is useful for treating the symptoms of multiple sclerosis, diabetes, insomnia, PTSD, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, acne, and Crohn’s disease.
CBD oil is the most widely used cannabidiol product for medical purposes because of its versatility. It is used as the main ingredient in other cannabidiol health and wellness products.
Making CBD Oil
High-quality CBD oil is made using hemp plant parts like leaves and flowers; the flowers and buds have high cannabidiol content. CBD is extracted from the plant parts using different extraction methods like CO2 extraction, solvent extraction, and olive oil extraction. The CO2 extraction method is used by reputed CBD oil manufacturers because of its efficiency and safety of final product.
When using cannabidiol products for therapeutic or medical purposes, choose full- or broad-spectrum CBD products as they give enhanced effects due to the entourage effect.